Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-10-11 09:12:58

In <20041008115653(_dot_)6507c521(_dot_)moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

[response to another rude reply that didn't CC the author of the subject
message]

perhaps.  But the semantics and intended method are a lot harder to
define and get right than the syntax of the header field.

Indeed, careful writing is necessary.

more to the point, careful thinking is necessary.  we don't understand
what we need yet.

But the problem we face is that Bruce refuses to consider any proposal
unless there us an official document describing it (e.g. most of us except
Bruce are happy to discuss MFT on the basis of Jacob's expired draft or
Dan's informal descriptions). Whereas you are not prepared for any draft
to be written until we have a full understanding of everything.

Enough people have indicated that they understand MFT sufficiently well to
be able to say that it looks like a workable solution. There is no other
solution on the table, except for relying on Reply-To (and Bruce seems to
be the only one who believes that would work). So it seems to me that the
only way forward is for somebody to write a draft. Then we can all tear it
to shreds.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.