Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-10-12 06:33:48

3.  Blind acceptance of MFT when composing replies is a bad idea,
for the same reasons that blind acceptance of Reply-To is a bad idea.

Well, I'm sorry, but 99% of the time when I reply to emails I blindly
accept Reply-To. I don't have the time/patience/concern/whatever to
scrutinize the recipients of every reply that I send.

What I'm wanting is user interfaces that make it easy for repliers to put the same degree of time/patience/concern/whatever into the recipient list of replies as they put into the content of replies. Right now our user interfaces encourage repliers to _not_ pay attention to the recipient lists.

I am reasonably certain that such software would need to have the option to do "blind replies" for people who cannot be bothered to read the recipient lists. But it would be nice if MUAs didn't presume that everyone wanted to be so careless.

I assume that the software will "do the right thing". And I suspect that I am pretty typical in this.

Software cannot "do the right thing" because the software has no idea _who_ you are replying to and whether that is the appropriate set of recipients for the content in your reply.

What if there's no Reply-To? Is "blind acceptance" of From a bad idea?

If MUAs hid From from you when you read a message, it would be. But usually From is prominently displayed both in the message itself and in the summary view, so it's rarely a surprise when replies go to the From address. (It can still be a surprise if the MUA shows only the _name_ portion of the From field, and the address isn't the one that the human reader normally associates with the name).

Keith