Re: Understanding response protocols

2004-10-12 06:24:26

In <416B2D24(_dot_)5080009(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:
In <416707AA(_dot_)1090001(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Which is why I said "The only place where it *can* be known ...". For
sure, if the author does not know, then there is even less chance that
subsequent mailing list expanders would know

So please answer me. HOW is the mail expander for 'foo' supposed to know
about the totally separate mailing list 'bar' to which the author
crossposted his message.

I never claimed that it could;

The whole purpose of this particular sub-thread is to establish what can
or cannot be done when messages are crossposted to multiple lists. I have
stated, repeatedly, that only the author is in a position to know what is
happening in that case, and to take action to deal with it (such as by
setting MFT or Reply-To to both lists).

*that* is what is irrelevant.

It is totally relevant, since it demonstrates that if the author fails to
do anything, then neither of the mailing lists can fix it. You now seem to
be agreeing with this.

 This
started with your claim -- repeated above -- that only the message
author can know when list expansion takes place.

No, it is NOT repeated above, since you have snipped it.

Now, supposing some author wants to raise a matter which is likely to be
relevant to both ietf-822(_at_)imc(_dot_)org and
IMAP(_at_)CAC(_dot_)Washington(_dot_)EDU(_dot_) ...

He can indicate that desire trivially:

Exactly so (or use MFT). So why have you been denying my claim that the
mailing list expanders cannot do it without assistance from the author?

Yes, it is true that the author is in the best position to provide
*his* recommendation for responses, if he is willing to do so, but
that is unrelated to your claim regarding identification of if/when
list expansion takes place.

So finally you admit that my point was correct. Mailing list expanders are
aware of all expansions etc relating to their own lists, but are totally
lost when it comes to identifying expansions made by other lists.

The solution to the "problem" of an author indicating his recommendation
for responses is trivially solved.  You have yet to explain what "problem"
requires determining if/when list expansion takes place.

Because you want replies to go to all the lists crossposted to, without
duplicate personal copies going to people who are already subscribed to
one of those lists. No amount of setting policies for individual lists, or
super-smart lists as Laird has been proposing, will bring that about. The
*only* place where it can be solved is at the author's MUA. And the sort
of smartness that Dan wants to put into such MUAs, together with MFT, will
in fact do it rather nicely.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.