Re: Attempts at establishing harmful convention with multilingual עברית /English subjects

2004-12-01 11:31:03

On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:30 AM, Bruce Lilly wrote:

On Wed December 1 2004 08:26, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:

And what about what I've done to this message's subject? Should a list
processor have to analyze it and infer from its character sets what
*languages* are OK for subject annotations?

Had you included the language tag as provided for by the RFC 2231
amendment to RFC 2047 (as further amended by errata), and in
accordance with RFC 2277, there would be no need to guess...

But even then, what's an "intelligent" thing for software to do? If we're a polyglot mailing list discussing complex linguistic issues, does the fact that my subject line is all Hebrew, Arabic, and French somehow imply that "Re:" is the wrong reply convention, or that any inserted [] prefix should occur in any particular language? There's no right answer, it's completely a human-level decision.