Re: MTS transparency and anonymity

2005-02-28 07:29:33

in practice, it has the semantics of "nowhere", or "you can't get
there
from here, no matter where 'here' is."

If I repeat Claus Assmann's experiment using 127.0.0.1 (the loopback),
what I get has semantics of "here".

and if you do it with 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.2, you get the semantics of
"you can't get there from here"

No, I get what Claus and Russ got, semantics of "here":

so do I, now. and when I tried earlier I made the mistake of not carefully recording what I did and what I got, so now I can't be sure what happened.

<> is illegal syntax, and some things do check. even those things that
do parse <> might end up extracting a null string, which could break
scripts.  and we're talking about email here, not HTTP or SIP.

It's illegal now, but was legal under RFC 733.

nobody cares about 733 anymore. most things in use today were written with 822 in mind.

HTTP and
SIP are mentioned because they refer back to the (RFC 822)
defined syntax of the From field; any change to that syntax
will affect those protocols as well as the Internet Message
Format.

no. they refer to 822, not to some newer specification. 822 hasn't changed, and won't change. HTTP and SIP are separate protocols (with their own baggage) and are evolving separately from the email protocols (and its baggage). which is as it should be.

When you propose such syntax changes, you must consider
the effects on all protocols affected by the change.

if they are truly affected by the change, yes. but it's not as if HTTP and SIP use email as a substrate.

overall, my preference is for something(_at_)[0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0], maybe
something
short like anon(_at_)[0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0] or something like
0(_at_)[0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0(_dot_)0]

But Keith, by definition (RFC 3330) 0.0.0.0 doesn't mean anything
like "anonymous", it means ""this' host on 'this' network", and
that has been confirmed in practice by experiment on three separate
systems.  Your assertion otherwise seems to be rather unconvincing.

Frankly at this point I'm not sure what to recommend. Everything is broken in some way or another. I still think that it makes more sense to use a domain literal than a domain. I still think it will break fewer things to have a From field with an actual address than to have no From field or From:<>. But I share at least some of your dislike of connecting to the loopback address (or something that acts like the loopback address). And my gut sense is that a lot of mail parsers will fail if an IPv6 domain literal like [ipv6:::0] is used.

Keith