Re: New 2822upd-04 - obs-NO-WS-CTL

2008-01-16 11:10:14

On 1/16/08 at 12:37 PM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

In <p06250100c3b2cdde7d7b(_at_)[74(_dot_)134(_dot_)5(_dot_)163]> Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

A couple of typos:

In 2.2 s/ unfolding"/ "unfolding"/

In 3.2.2, %d42-91 appears to have got omitted from <ctext>.

Good catch! Don't know how I missed those.

This is a good time to ask how long it is intended that the obs-syntax should remain in the standard. One hopes that it will no longer be a REQUIREMENT to recognize it in 1000 years time, but maybe some earlier deadline might be in order.

How burdensome is it to have to recognize this ancient stuff? I suspect that NUL and naked CR and LF are the bits that cause the most problem - the rest is probably easier. So one might like to remove the NUL and naked CR and LF sooner rather than later. For sure, there should no longer be a need to recognize ANY obs-stuff coming off the wire, even today. We are concerned only with ancient emails that are still in people's archives.

A few things on this point (and I believe we've had this discussion multiple times before):

1. What would an implementation do, in the face of a bare CR, LF, or NUL, if the specification did not have this stuff in the obs- syntax? As it currently says:

      Note: This section identifies syntactic forms that any
      implementation MUST reasonably interpret.  However, there are
      certainly Internet messages which do not conform to even the
      additional syntax given in this section.  The fact that a
      particular form does not appear in any section of this document is
      not justification for computer programs to crash or for malformed
      data to be irretrievably lost by any implementation.  It is up to
      the implementation to deal with messages robustly.

The reason that bare CR, LF, and NUL are in there is because these things have cropped up in messages over the years and implementations may need to deal with them. It's fair warning to have these constructs in the spec.

2. I find the whole concept of deadlines in protocol specifications silly. If we say, "you MUST accept bare LF until January 1, 2010 at 12:00:00 UTC, at which point you MAY", what have we accomplished? If, by any particular date, we find that it is unreasonable to ask implementations to do any particular thing, we change the spec at that time.

I strongly object to protocol specifications trying to impose deadlines on implementations. Write an Informational RFC with prognostications if so desired.

A. I see that <quoted-pair> is still present in <dcontent>...

B. As regards the use of SP after the ':' in header fields...

I did not see support on the list for either of your positions on these. In fact, the only response to your Sept. 20 message on B was an objection by Frank to doing what you said. Cite some support for either of these positions if you would.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102