Re: 2822upd-04 "local" time and zone offsets

2008-01-28 11:13:05

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Bruce Lilly wrote:

The issues arise from the difficulty in converting *correctly* to an
unambiguous time reference (i.e. UTC) which in turn is partially due to
an unfortunate choice in the sign of the offset, (resulting in
erroneously adding the offset to local time to get UTC when it should be
subtracted).

RFC 2822 and RFC 3339 and ISO 8601 use the same sign. AFAIK only the old
Unix TZ specifications use the wrong sign which I believe was for the
convenience of users in the same hemisphere as the developers.

Apart from this I'll just agree with Pete and Ned.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
SHANNON: SOUTHWEST VEERING NORTHWEST 5 TO 7. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH. RAIN THEN