Fw: requested tweak to 2822upd grammar

2008-09-03 18:41:40

I'm passing this message on to the 822 list for vetting.

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I realize that this might be too late now, but I've suggested this
before and got no response. And I hope this is not controversial for
AUTH48:

Can we please redefine the msg-id in section 3.6.4:

msg-id          =   [CFWS] "<" id-left "@" id-right ">" [CFWS]

to be:

msg-id          =   [CFWS] "<" msg-id-core ">" [CFWS]
msg-id-core     =   id-left "@" id-right

This way other documents can reference the thing inside <> more
easily.

This change is strictly an arrangement of the ABNF and does not affect
either the intent of the document nor what's on the wire.

I've been asked to ask the list for buy in on this suggestion.

Without a definite consensus to do so, it will not be done. The RFC
Editor hasn't yet made it down to our document in their queue, so this
request is not blocking anything. Lisa has indicated a willingness to
support the change as an RFC Editor note, if there is consensus to do
so. But it *is* an extremely late request.

Please respond to the mailing list before Monday September 8th with a +1
(for the change) or -1 (against the change).

        Tony Hansen
        tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com