Re: Comments on Malformed Message BCP draft

2011-04-20 09:49:12

Keith Moore wrote:

This gives more weight to the idea to not tolerate standards violations. Relaxing on standards makes it more difficult to use a delta in MUA compliance behavior as good or bad.

Please don't propose to penalize users for switching MUAs.

I don't think I was Keith. I am firm believer all transactions should be treated equally when it comes to following standards with a "wait for someone to complain" exception. I was pointing out dealing with compromising user issues is a different problem with a different set of solutions and I believe relaxing standards does not help with the problem. So even if you wanted to use a negative MUA behavior change red-flag as part of a local policy compromised user monitor, you couldn't.

It's difficult enough for people to do as it is, and that is part of why MUAs are so dysfunctional and have evolved so little over the past 10+ years.

For offline MUAs, I generally agree, at least for the things we often are concern about. For Online MUAs, there are improvements, including support for List-IDs as done with gmail.com

--
HLS