Re: [ietf-822] utf8 messages

2014-08-15 06:27:27
My understanding is that Brandon's system previously required no out-of-band label at all. Whenever a message was processed in their infrastructure, they would use a single algorithm, and that algorithm contained some heuristic for dealing with messages which were using 8bit data in headers. Everything worked pretty well for them.

Now, the EAI introduced another syntax, and that syntax breaks their heuristics. Ned's suggestion is to make use of the out-of-band labeling and extend the heuristic to only apply the old crutches when the label says that this isn't an EAI message, while Brandon's complaint is that they use no such labeling at this time because it isn't required at all. Brandon also suggests that there are many other places which process these messages without the external metadata.

By "out-of-band" or "external", I mean what gets set in the ESMTP envelope.

Hope this helps, and please correct me if my understanding of your positions is not correct.

From my point of view, it would be most interesting to see what happens
when I deploy e.g. a Postfix version which understands this new RFC along with an older Dovecot which doesn't do it. Suddenly, an IMAP client is in the same position as Brandon describes because there's no way of accessing the ESMTP envelope through IMAP.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/