Re: [ietf-822] utf8 messages

2014-08-15 15:16:37
From my point of view, it would be most interesting to see what happens
when I deploy e.g. a Postfix version which understands this new RFC along
with an older Dovecot which doesn't do it. Suddenly, an IMAP client is in
the same position as Brandon describes because there's no way of accessing
the ESMTP envelope through IMAP.

That's an incompliant setup, so what happens doesn't have much to do with the
standards. There's an IMAP extension in addition to  an SMTP extension; if the
IMAP server offers access to the EAI messages without the client having
requested such access (and of course there will be no way to do that in an
unextended IMAP server) you're operating outside the scope of the standard.

I'll also note that the SMTPUTF8 indicator during transport doesn't necessarily
translate to an RFC 6532 message on delivery. The EAI-ness of the message
during transport could be limited to envelope fields that end up not appearing
in the delivered message. Of course you can just blindly set the store-side
indicator on the basis of the SMTPUTF8 indicator if you like.

This stuff is tricky.

                                Ned