Re: [ietf-822] A "Reaction" strawman to throw into the mix

2020-11-02 15:26:09
On 2 Nov 2020, at 11:24, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 10/29/2020 10:49 PM, Pete Resnick wrote:
it reuses existing pieces of infrastructure that seem to fit this use,

Except that, really, this use is semantically quite different from the intended use of MDN (RFC 8098):

   "...used by a Mail User
Agent (MUA) or electronic mail gateway to report the disposition of a
   message after it has been successfully delivered to a recipient."

The goal of indicating a recipient's reaction is quite different from indicating disposition of a message.

I don't disagree. However, the semantics provided by MDN is that of associating a disposition with a particular message, and it has all of the machinery to do that association. Associating a reaction with the original messages seems to me much the same as associating an indication that a message was "read" or "dispatched" or "deleted". Yes, it definitely extends the purpose of MDNs, but it doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

In structural terms, the MDN is also a more constrained environment than a general email message. Hence, using it for reactions limits the context for including reactions.

How so? You do have a user-readable part to include a message to the user, which can be any sort of content type.

Adding the ability to have a reply message include content tagged as a reaction adds to the semantics of email exchange.

When I think of reactions, I think of providing a UI to add a "Like" button or similar. That seems separate to me from replies, and in some cases replaces it. Having the the user readable part allows you to do a reply should you desire, but I suspect the primary kind of implementation for this kind of feature is a one-hit button for indicating a reaction to a message, similar to the sort that I've seen for implementing "I read this." Both MDNs and a reaction strike me as "add this adornment to the sender's message" rather than "send this message as a reply to the sender's message". MDNs seems semantically closer to the purpose, and the implementation of adding a reaction, both on the sender's side and the receiver's side, seems closer to MDNs.

Having a message designed for signaling information, about message handling, be modified to include end-user reactions distorts its original purpose and limits the added function.

As I said, I agree that this is a change in purpose for MDNs, but I don't see it as particularly horrible distortion.

But as I said at the beginning, I can certainly live with Ned's proposal. MDNs just struck me as cleaner.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best