Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records

2003-03-03 05:59:43

Hadmut Danisch said:

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 07:18:05PM -0500, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

If respected by receiving MTAs, the proposal would give the owner of the
DNS space in which a host lives control over which servers could originate
SMTP traffic.

No. To be more precise:

The proposal would give the owner of the domain which the
senders e-mail address belongs to control over which servers could originate
SMTP traffic.

The proposal quitly assumes that the owner of a domain (i. e. the
one who is able to define zone entries) is the same who is
allowed to decide who may use this domain in a senders address.

One issue I can see here: if I send mail from my home machine for
mydomain.org, connected using an ISP's dynamic pool of IPs for their DSL
users, then I either

        (a) need to know that ISP's address ranges

        (b) need to update my RMX records dynamically each time I connect,
        and this needs to match my mail *at the time the recipient checks
        it* (ie potentially breaking the store-and-forward model!)

        (c) need to set up a static-IP deal with the ISP, or buy a colo
        server ;)

        (d) need to use an "allow all" 0/0 mask for mydomain.org.

How do we solve this?   Is there another solution?

BTW note that this, in general, does seem to be a very promising approach
(and one that's been mooted a few times before in various forms ;)

cheers,

--j.