RE: [Asrg] DS and Underscores

2003-03-05 22:43:13
The idea is interesting, nonetheless... but I think you
should take a look
into RFC 1034/1035 and their updates before going any further...

RFC 2181 section 11 clairifies this.  Already we see things like "/" in
in-addr-arpa records (RFC 2317) and it's clear that these aren't host names
and therefore aren't bound by host name restrictions.

I am looking at using these in A RR records though where they could be
assumed to be host records, and RFC 2052 seems to have dropped the
underscore character.  There was concern that not having underscores would
make it possible to not distinguish DS records from hosts named "ds".  I
have to concede, however, that hosts named like "ds.client.smtp.tcp" are not
very likely.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>