Re: pros and cons of RMX (Re: [Asrg] Declaration to the world) (fwd)

2003-03-07 00:08:45

In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0303062045140(_dot_)2191-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net writes:

[ ...]

You raise several good points about the problems that authenticating
email claiming from being from a certain domain and coming from a
certain IP address causes.  I will have to think about them a little
bit, but it is too late tonight to do it right now.

I'm not really sure if this kind of thing is that useful.  However,
most of the reasons that have been given so far against RMX or domain
specific DNSBLs seem bogus to me.  (Such as the claims that it would
be hard to do, or being DNS based means it can't be done, or that I
should not be allowed to ask people to not accept email claiming to be
from me that aren't from my machines.)

This *IS* an idea that can be easily set up and tested and that seems
to me to be something that a research group should be interested in.

-wayne