RE: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-08 20:37:51
Consider the common claims about spammers forging headers.  When was
the last time you saw spam supposedly from CERT?

I got 6 bounce messages in my mail yesterday that indicated that
the cause was my own email address having been stolen by a spam
sender.

I started looking into this issue a year ago when it happened to
my boss. Since then I have had my email address stollen on 10
occasions at least.

That does not count the viruses, these are spam messages (can tell
from the subject lines).

Some means of fixing spurious bounces would be a good idea as
well.

The proposal you make is interesting but does not get past the
problem of communicating consent. It leaves the legitimate bulk
sender in the same he said/ she said situation they are in today.
I want a means of proving that yes you great steaming nit you did
just ask for this message. I also want something I can impose on
the outgoing systems to make sure that no recent hire who has a
bright idea can spam against company policy.

                Phill