RE: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

2003-03-11 14:01:26

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Chris
Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 2:51 PM
To: Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

Justin Mason wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:06:40PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

Legislation is futile. The spammers will go off-shore if not already.
The only solution is a technical one that crosses political borders.

Going offshore significantly increases costs and creates a major barrier
to entry.

Using offshore contractors -- or USian contractors with offshore
sending hosts -- to send your spam, however, does not.   And that's
already the case in many of the big spamhaus cases (e.g. Alan Ralsky).

Ralsky is inside US jurisdiction, right?

It would be particularly difficult to craft legislation that _didn't_
cover everyone involved in a spam, whether the spammer itself, or the
spammed-for person or...  If only by invoking "conspiracy to commit"...

He is, but his operations need not be. I can pay a New Guinea man to do my
spam for me. Or I can buy a whole internet site outside the U.S. and run my
operations from there and get disbursements.

Still, he is but one man. If he can no longer do it, someone who can will
step up to the plate.