Re: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

2003-03-11 05:24:13
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:57:47PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
But US spam senders are unlikely to uproot themselves and go to
places where there is no effective government. If they tried the
bribes that they would have to pay to operate would quickly erase
their profits.

I'm not convinced at all.   Consider the current situation with trade
agreements w.r.t. software and VCD piracy; the biggest offenders
are in East Asia, and have been for decades.  So obviously US-led
trade agreements are taking a long time to have an appreciable
effect over there.

At the same time, some of the highest broadband rollout to date is
in East Asian countries (Korea for example), so there is a lot of
tech savvy and bandwidth to be used.

That's a spammer's dream -- lots of bandwidth, and little influence
of US law.

In other words, there's a good reason why some of the big spamhauses
have sited their server infrastructure over there.

PS: also, I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard I'd reckon
power cuts are more common in Silicon Valley, than Beijing's server
farms ;)

--j.