Re: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

2003-03-11 05:29:26
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:16:43PM -0800, Jonathan Wilkins wrote:
I think that this is a false analogy.  Legislation has been somewhat
effective against pirated PHYSICAL media.  One would be hard pressed
to argue that it was effective against purely digital piracy.
All that's happened from the various RIAA cases is to push the
pirates to different networks.

Hmm, I missed this thread in my last reply.

Also, physical pirate copies are easier to stop *entering* the US.
That's why you haven't seen them.   A visit to the biggest mall in
Bangkok last year illustrated this graphically to me; I was
surrounded by about 1000 sq.ft. of racks of pirate CD-ROMs.  And
that's nice, clean, shiny mainstream Bangkok shopping, not some
kind of pirate flea market. ;)

The piracy's all still there, it's just not getting into your hands as
easily as it used to...

--j.