Re: [Asrg] A method to eliminate spam

2003-03-17 05:04:03
At 17.03.2003 11:34 +0000, you wrote:
On Monday, Mar 17, 2003, at 05:58 Europe/London,
meor(_at_)mail(_dot_)SoftHome(_dot_)net wrote:

>Legitimate bulk mailing would become excrutiatingly painful.

Well, right now legitimate bulk mailing is kind of broken. In order for myself to sign up to this list I had to send and receive 3 pieces of E-Mail. In the overview I did address bulk mailing. If a bulk mailer is on a white list of someone(legitimate), then the bulk mailer does not have to use any CPU time to send the message, it is allowed to be sent as simply as it is right now. This makes it perfectly possible for a bulk mailer to send out hundreds of thousands of E-Mail messages to users who want to receive them. I don't see how legitimate bulk mailing would be hindered by this method. On the contrary; I think this method could help out bulk mailers as end users would clearly know who they've placed on their list of accepted senders and would eliminate users accidentally reporting legitimate or solicited bulk mail as unsolicited.

If you sign up for C|Net's daily newsletters, who do you whitelist? *(_at_)cnet(_dot_)com? *(_at_)news(_dot_)com?

Or do you have to wait for the newsletter to come in before you can create a whitelist entry for them?

I ask because C|Net's newsletter doesn't come from anywhere you might expect it to come from.

I suppose average users would soon become annoyed if they had to whitelist every newsletter they subscribe to.