Re: [Asrg] A method to eliminate spam

2003-03-17 12:43:46
At 13:59 3/17/2003 -0500, you wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:39:09 CST, meor(_at_)mail(_dot_)SoftHome(_dot_)net  said:

> I had to send and receive 3 E-Mails to sign up for this list.  If the
> proposed method was implemented, only one would have to be sent.  The one
> E-Mail would add the list's public key to my white list(implicitly by
> sending them an E-Mail), and the list owner would know that I signed up for
> it(no one signed me up for it out of spite), because of my public key.

This assumes the existence of a PKI.   Without that, it's fairly trivial
for me to crank out a bogus digital signature claiming to be from
meor(_at_)mail(_dot_)softhome(_dot_)net and forge subscriptions for you.  And
without any
mailback confirmation, you'd not even know what happened until you started
getting 300+ pieces of mail a day from linux-kernel mailing list. ;)

Yes, a self-signed cert *will* prove that two somethings have the same source,
but that doesn't help in trying to confirm a subscription to an e-mail list...

Actually this method would not need a PKI. Upon the first attempt to send mail to the end user by the Mail list, the mail list would be told that the public key/signature is not recognized at which point it would be known that the recipient mail box did not request list subscription. Even if you did have to send 3 E-Mails with the new method, like you do with the current method, this does not disprove the ability to subscribe to bulk mailing lists. The point I was trying to demonstrate was that white lists are easy to implement, and digital signatures verify origin.