Re: [Asrg] A method to eliminate spam

2003-03-17 12:11:29
>Why on earth would you want to abandon MXes? MXes serve an extremely useful purpose even if your "solution" was adopted - failover, prioritization, enabling systems not on the Internet to receive email (hint: my home machine doesn't have, and has no need for, an A record. Couldn't use one even if it had one. It's not Internet-connected.).

There are other methods of fail safe and redundancy besides MX records. Every other type of network communication that needs 24/7 up time, but does not make use of MX records has ways of keeping up time despite machines failing. Every other type of network communication does not have special records for it's specific protocol, yet people are still able to full up time. I don't know the personal situation with your machine at home but I don't see how it is able to send/receive mail if it isn't connected to the Internet ever. I also may be naive but I don't see a resounding reason to have a mail server that is not connected to the network which it is receiving mail from.

>When faced with the option of not being able to hit send unless the recipient's mailbox machine was currently online, sending clients would have to. Dealing with sporadic machine outages would make mailing lists (or even modest receiver lists) extremely unpleasant to operate if you couldn't queue. Imagine the world-wide grief if a backhoe took out AOL's connectivity for a short time, or an individual mailbox server went down. My home machine would never get another email again...

If a backhoe took out AOL's connectivity, there are going to be more issues at stake than just this method. If no one can connect to AOL's servers AOL itself will be down. None of it's users will be able to use it's services, no one will be able to get to it's web page, nothing. Maybe I overlooked it, but do you believe that this method should protect against catastrophic failures of this kind?

>How would ISP (or a corporation) block outbound mailbombs and the like if they don't get to see the traffic? Legal liabilities galore.

Unless you're mail bombing someone who has white listed you(someone who trusts you), your mail bomb isn't going to be able to nearly as effective as they are right now. I also don't see why a filter could not be developed for this protocol as well. Just because it isn't SMTP, doesn't mean it cannot be monitored by administrators.

>Huh? I'd like to see any of our users get around our send filtering and logging. Hint: we block direct outbound email simply by denying outbound port 25. As do many ISPs with dialup pool router blocks. Short of active collusion with outside entities (eg: port forwarding ala open proxies) they can't.

Yes, I was implying outside assistance.

>Blocking outbound klez.  I wish Verizon would do that...
Logging all email is becoming a legal necessity these days [Patriot Act plus others, mutter].

Again, I don't see how a filter could not be developed for this protocol if one was so desired.

Is this logging any different than just normal usage logging that administrators perform? Logging like to see what users are doing with HTTP, FTP, messaging systems, etc. Could logging programs not be adapted, if people wanted to, to log new protocols like this one?

>Yeah, by implementing proxies as they do for HTTP and FTP. Which defeats your proposal because they're nothing more than intermediate mail servers. Packet logging is impractical or useless - it shows nothing of the details of the email, such as recipient address.

I think packet logging is useful. If you monitor communications between the client and the destination mail host, how could you not reconstruct who it was to, who it was from, what public keys were exchanged, etc? In the case of mail bombing it would be very obvious if someone is opening several hundred communications with the destination mail box(public key) within a short period of time. I would say this method would actually help you because you _can_ find the recipient address.

>So now we have two email protocols, one for bulk and one for non-bulk. Ouch.

No, there are no two protocols. White listing is built in to the protocol. It is the basis for fast mail sending. Trusted users do not have to compute a cipher key every time they send mail, only if you are not on the white list. White lists can be tied to address books and sending mail. There are not two protocols for this, this was outlined in the overview.

>Requiring the recipient mailbox machine to be online and operational at the time of sending a piece of email is, by itself, considerably worse than the status quo. Race conditions. Etc. Vastly more unreliable.

I don't see how the mail server being off-line is worse than any other server going off-line that needs 24/7 up time. If your web server goes down and you have no redundancy, you have a problem. If your Internet router box goes down and you have no redundancy, you have a problem. I believe this method succumbs to the same issues as every other network service. The difference with this method opposed to the current E-Mail system is that you are not wasting gigabytes worth of bandwidth and disk space transferring and storing unsolicited junk mail because no one can make money off of sending it anymore.