Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....

2003-03-17 13:00:13
At 11:25 AM 3/17/03 -0800, Hadmut Danisch wrote:
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:06:10PM -0700, Art Pollard wrote:

> One thing that would probably go a long way for many of the state anti-spam
> laws would be a way that one could give public notice that the people at a
> company / organization / ISP do or do not want spam.

<snip>

And I really don't believe that a significant number of spam
senders will care about such a flag.

But that truth does not necessarily negate the value of such a notice system. Look at the telephone "do not call" list situation in the U.S. A bunch of states (and now the federal FTC) have developed or are developing "do not call" lists -- usually self developed and not interoperable. If there were a pre-existing sound and secure system for opting out of phone calls, states could have simply referenced that method (as they have in fact have done with the DMS opt out list, which many feel is lacking).

If the Internet community develops a scalable, secure public notice method, it could end up being the method (or a method) adopted by governments that choose to legislate against spam. And even in the absence of legislation, a clear notice in a standardized format and place can greatly help private legal actions.

So the fact that (a) spammers would not care about such a system, and (b) in year two of implementation such a system might in fact have little impact on spam, does not mean the proposal lacks value.

John Morris