Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....

2003-03-17 14:52:43
On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:22:12 EST, Jason Hihn said:
My points exactly! It would be cool and could be made to work, but in the
end, it's futile/pointless/a lost cause.

I didn't say it was a lost cause.. ;)

I pointed out that there were problems - many of which are fixable.

For instance, *IF* you have a technically workable SMTP extension, you could
then conceivably codify that "a UCE sender must check the extension and pay
any indemnification as a result".

The nice thing there is that if you don't send any UCE, you can just ignore
the extension and nothing changes. ;)

Yes, this does require some coding, some RFCs, and some legal tapdancing
similar to what's already in 17 USC 512 for an ISP safe-harbor, so if one
of our users does something stupid and relays it through our server, it's
their problem not mine.  But not anything fundamentally  not fixable.