Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....

2003-03-18 02:08:38
On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 12:06:10PM -0700, Art Pollard wrote:

One thing that would probably go a long way for many of the state
anti-spam
laws would be a way that one could give public notice that the people
at a
company / organization / ISP do or do not want spam.

This is only good if such a flag contains some entropy,
i.e. there are some flags set to "I want" and some to "I don't want".

Do you really believe that anyone would set the flag to
"I want spam"?

Strangely, I get occasional complaints from my users saying things like
"Why aren't you sending me free offers etc."

Also, end users may not trust the classification (spam/not spam) made at
some upstream point and therefore may choose to publish a "wide-open"
consent.

And I really don't believe that a significant number of spam
senders will care about such a flag.

No, probably not, but the suggestion was that this would support
legislation, which seems reasonable.