Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 14:15:10
At 07:52 AM 3/18/2003 -0800, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
How about criminal charges for spammers (after somebody won civil
suite) with pentaly being that judge orders that spammer may not use
computer or have anything to do with advertising business for set period
of time?

I really think this talk of "punishing" spamers has gotten out of hand. I've sent an unsolicited email or two in my time and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. Its simply business.

If you think about the way printing costs and postal rates influence advertising decisions you'll see this is really an economic problem not a moral or social issue. In the U.S. I think it currently costs about $0.25 to send a bulk 1st Class mail, less for other types. Is the person who send you a pitch in your mail box a criminal because they "clog" your box with an unwanted pitch? What if the cost of postal mail and printing were to drop to 1/10 or 1/100 of their current costs? Would those business which expanded their advertising now become criminals because market forces had increased their ability to economically reach more people? What if it became essentially free? Would there be cries for opt-in postal delivery? Probably. If opt-in postal lists were more frequently used it would save advertisers lots of money.

So, raising the cost of delivering an email to even $0.01 would cause all but the most profitable pitches to evaporate from our in-boxes.and offering advertisers an opt-in list would be a great benefit to both them and us.

steve