Re: [Asrg] Thoughts so far

2003-03-18 17:44:54

Except that Utah's law was just resounding defeated in its first test in court and the written judgement makes it difficult to ever collect from sleazy spammer and impossible from a 'honest' (or at least open) one

Yes. But I am sure that they will be updating the spam laws here in Utah. (In fact, I know they are.)

Anyway, this case was defeated partly because the person had "opted-in" to a list that was then sold to Sprint. The judge simply said that since he had opted-in that Sprint had the right to send him e-mail. So, while this person was defeated, it wasn't a real test of the law.

I am working with the legislators here and attempting to try to get some guidelines put into the legislation. For example, all opt-in lists must contain information about when/how the person opted in and it must be contained in the e-mail and if someone opts out from the originating list then the person with the list must contact all those that they sold it to and notify them that you opted out.

-Art
--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/