Re: [Asrg] A method to eliminate spam

2003-03-18 22:58:45
At 7:42 PM -0600 3/17/03, meor(_at_)mail(_dot_)SoftHome(_dot_)net wrote:
Dial-up user composes the E-Mail.
Dial-up user connects to the mail host.
Mail hosts requests the Dial-up user to find the encryption key to the cipher.
Dial-up user can disconnect while this computation is being performed.
Dial-up user connects to the mail host.
Dial-up user sends the cipher key and sends the E-Mail message.

I have no idea why your respondents have been so vitriolic--patience seems to be going on this list. But for what it's worth, here are my comments.

So. If I install this system on my computer, I presumably still need to interact with the existing mail system until we all convert, correct?

1. What do you do with incoming mail from the gateway?
2. Do you change the email addressing system so that the MUA can tell the difference between outbound mail for a user of the new system or an old user? If not, bear in mind that you are seriously disincenting early adopters, because they'll be spending lots of time generating keys that nobody will need. But at the same time they'll see no benefit because they can't yet block email from people who don't use the system.

The fundamental problem with new protocols for email has nothing to do with how good the protocol is. It has to do with how the transition is made from the old system to the new.

So far, every new protocol proposal I've seen has one of two adoption plans.

1. Everyone will just agree it's the best and all adopt it at once.
2. A small group of people will gamble that this solution is going to be the one that wins in the marketplace, and they'll put up with a lot of pain and no benefit until everyone else adopts it as well.

Of those two, I'd actually give #1 a better chance of succeeding. But it would take a unanimous decision from at least a dozen of the biggest ISPs, along with a real threat to turn off all access to the old system within a certain amount of time. And when it was all said and done, you'd still have to run two systems if you needed to correspond with anyone in the third world--the two just wouldn't interoperate.

I don't give #2 a chance in hell unless you come up with a protocol change that actually gives the early adopters an immediate benefit. (In other words, it cuts their spam and it doesn't annoy their non-converted customers.) Otherwise you're asking them to make a big gamble in time and money with no immediate benefit. They'd just be doing it for the long term good of the community. The same forces that have led to spam (tragedy of the commons) make it certain that people won't do that.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.