Re: [Asrg] A method to eliminate spam

2003-03-20 08:54:44
Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
In message <3E78C984(_dot_)1020505(_at_)americasm01(_dot_)nt(_dot_)com>, "Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
And the winner is.... <<drum roll>...

:-)

I was expecting you to chime in :-)

[*] I have an issue with MONKEYSPROXY because the criteria for removal isn't "just fix the open socks or proxy and ask for retest" - because asking for the retest has other extraneous requirements.

The UPL re-testing/de-listing requirements are detailed here:

     http://www.monkeys.com/upl/delisting-policy.html

They are reasonably trivial to satisfy... unless you are a complete
dumbshit and/or unless your ISP is totally worthless and totally
unresponsive, even to YOUR requests for assistance.

I'm half expecting/dreading this to turn into a long protracted discussion. Ron and I have had this conversation before, and I don't expect my comments here will change his mind. So, I'm going to say my piece as it pertains to general principles of spam control and then shut up on this subject.

In my view, the criteria for "delisting" an IP in a blacklist should be the exact reverse of the criteria for "listing". This is true in most blacklists. Not true for Monkeys - it's saving grace _so_far_ is simply that it _is_ very effective (partially due to us, as you'll recall, Ron). But this will degrade over time given your delisting criteria.

I agree with your remark about ISPs. But, that's not the point. The goal of any anti-spam "technique" is to stop spam, not to to attempt to enforce "best practises" which are unrelated to the technique, and are at best only indirectly addressing spam. As such, a list where being listed means "you're an open proxy", being delisted should mean "you're no longer an open proxy", not "you're no longer an open proxy, and your provider isn't an idiot".

For our purposes in handling false positives, I need to be able to tell the person who hit the block that "I've triggered a retest" subject only to issues surrounding, say, OSIRUS's or ORDB's retesting mechanism glitching and missing a request, not "I tried to, pray your ISP pays attention, your WHOIS entry is sane, etc".

The UPL isn't strictly a "open proxy/socks" list, it's more of a awkward combination of "open proxy/socks" plus "RFCIgnorant". Those who want to use it need to be aware of that fact.

When we hit a MONKEYS block we provide the end-user with the appropriate link for the sender progressing through your delisting criteria, but I'd expect the majority of users not be able to complete it successfully.

As I said, it's not a problem in practise yet, because we automatically whitelist hits in "security lists" (open relay, proxy, socks) unless we have reason to believe that the IP in question is actively spewing spam _now_.

However, as the UPL gets older (it's only a few months old), and more and more entries become out-of-date because of the delisting requirements, we may have to rethink all of our interactions with it.

Hummmm.... <<pulls out slide rule>>... So only about 1/90th of your
whitelist requests arise due to your use of the UPL, but the UPL is
stopping half, or more than half of your incoming spam.

As I mentioned, I expect this to degrade over time. BOPM by itself is almost as effective as Monkeys, and it doesn't have this problem - it can't degrade into a list of "stupid providers" instead of "open proxies/socks".

As for BOPM - only two "false positive" reports over a period several months longer than we've been using Monkeys.

They were really open at the time and spewing spam. We got the sites fixed and delisted.

In other words, we've not seen a FP due to BOPM's entries being stale yet. At least half of those with the UPL were stale and no longer valid.