Re: [Asrg] Re: Stamping

2003-03-21 10:05:45
C Wegrzyn wrote:
I have to ask this one question: why e-stamps? It seems a solution looking for a problem to solve.

It seems to me the whole idea behind stopping spam would be for ISPs to levy a "use tax" on email being sent. Right now the reason spam is so prevalent is that there is no difference in cost between sending one email or ten million. While I don't want to get into a war about single price, unlimited usage vs. pay for services model, it would be very appropriate.

maybe we should try to use a different name for these things? Stamps are from a bygone era when you had to pay for mail to be sent. Email is free to send, and I'd prefer it to stay that way. Call them 'authentication tokens' or something like that, which does not have this 'pay-per-view' idea attached to it.

And no, I don't think we absolutely need these tokens. Since we are still in the research phase it is good to hear about all possibilities though...

Frank
--
  ## o o\    /     Frank de Lange     \