Re: [Asrg] Re: Stamping

2003-03-21 12:16:22
At 12:28 PM -0500 3/21/03, C Wegrzyn wrote:
Having been an ISP (destek.net) for many years, it isn't all that difficult to filter traffic going through a network. It is done all the time.

True. But you argued that a (per-recipient) email use tax would help stop tax. But the problem you are trying to stop (arbitrary sending of large amounts of email from within a network) doesn't require that. It just requires better ISP security. And if you don't have better security, then the use tax will be evaded.

But the real point I'm trying to make here is that anti-spam solutions that depend on the sender obeying a rule are not going to be successful. They rely on an ISP (or more likely, a bandwidth provider) restricting their customers. Financially they have no incentive to do so. As good citizens, they should do it. But that isn't their primary focus. We could get rid of lots of DoS attacks with very straightforward outbound packet filtering as well--but it hasn't happened.

So. Any recommendation from this group should specify certain actions that responsible ISPs should take to secure their networks. But don't expect them to be immediately followed.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.