Re: [Asrg] Re: Stamping

2003-03-22 09:07:41
Outbound spam is not a bug in security. Outbound spam is like any
other outbound communication. Bits are sent to the internet sourced
from their customers. Though it may be annoying to you, is my ability
to give you a prank phone call a bug in the telephone system?

Prank phone calls are illegal.  Your ablility to make a single prank
call is not a bug in the telephone system.  If you had the ablility to
make even a dozen prank phone calls per week without being caught,
then I would say there is a bug in the telephone systems.

That points out a problem with many spam solutions.  They assume that
ISPs that don't now care to terminate their spaming customers or their
resellers that happily resell to spammers (e.g. UUNET) will do soemthing
different because someone talks about e-stamps, authentication, or
some other techical widget.  Spam-friendly ISPs will continule to
support spammers. Other ISPs will continue to hunt down and eliminate
the monder equivalents of phone phreaks.  Spam friendly ISPs will
be happy to mint stamps or sign new, spam-for-a-day certs for spammers
where they now sell bandwidth or spam-for-a-day throw-away accounts.