[Asrg] Re: "HashStamp" == hashcash? (Re: Stamping)

2003-03-24 20:51:14
At 11:42 PM -0600 3/23/03, Scott A Crosby wrote:
 > That said, I don't see yet how it could get past the early-adopter
 phase.  Like the other systems, it offers no real benefits until a
 > substantial number of people adopt it.

One could build this as a 'side' mechanism into a auto-reply robot
whitelisting mechanism similar to TMDA that IETF seperately
standardizes. The robot-replies sucks for older clients, but work. We
make the the stamp-missing control message machine-readible to make
conforming clients check for other valid stamps (or expend the CPU to
create a new stamp). They're also human-readible telling people to
reply to the robot and complete the handshake.

Okay.  Now you're making a purchase decision.
1. A system that does challenge/response and whitelists responders.
2. A system that does challenge/response and whitelists responders, but also makes it harder for you to send email and requires client changes, but eventually will be more reliable.

And no, I don't think I'm a pessimist. I just think that companies make decisions based on short-term economics.

But frankly I think that challenge/response is a non-starter. It fails with all automated email systems. Worse, it potentially removes me from mailing lists when it responds (I assume, since it's a delivery notification, it goes to the envelope from?). So that means I have to manually check the queue before I allow it to send the challenge.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.