Re: [Asrg] Re: Stamping

2003-03-21 10:40:41
Having been an ISP (destek.net) for many years, it isn't all that difficult to filter traffic going through a network. It is done all the time.

Chuck Wegrzyn

Kee Hinckley wrote:

At 11:36 AM -0500 3/21/03, C Wegrzyn wrote:

I have to ask this one question: why e-stamps? It seems a solution looking for a problem to solve.

That certainly seems to be the attitude of the systems I've seen. However e-stamps do address an ISP concern (namely, they don't get reimbursed for incoming email, and they can't charge the user, but the user doesn't *want* most of the incoming email). Of course hashcash type solutions don't address that. Just e-stamp solutions where the final MTA actually gets real money.

It seems to me the whole idea behind stopping spam would be for ISPs to levy a "use tax" on email being sent. Right now the reason spam is so prevalent is

This assumes that ISPs have control over the email being sent. If all ISPs did (and all ISPs wore white hats), then we wouldn't be sitting here. From the white-hat ISP perspective, outbound spam is a bug in their security. e-stamps won't fix that.