Re: [Asrg] Hashstamp-like proposal

2003-03-24 11:29:19

- the last time I checked, DSA is patented. I don't know what the
  situation is at the moment re. licensing DSA technologies.

If there is an issue with the DSA licensing scheme, I believe this method could use any digital signing method in order to get the desired effect.

- it doesn't actually "eliminate" spam - spammers may still choose to
  wear the cost of computation. From my reading of the protocol, after
  they succeed in cracking the weak cypher key, the spam message is
  still delivered. That's different to my definition of "eliminate".

Well, what this method does, is make it infeasible to make a business out of spamming. When you require connections to identify themselves it becomes very easy to make it very hard for a select group of people to abuse it. For instance if a big company emerged and used the domain spammers.org or certain IPs that were known, E-Mail host operators could easily make it 10 time or 100 times more difficult for a message to be sent from that domain or group of IPs. Knowing that it is so easy for an E-Mail host admin to single them out and ramp up difficulty in sending, spammers would be very weary of investing a large amount of money in getting more processing power.

The difficulty alone in solving the computation task makes it impossible for a single CPU or group of them to be effective at spamming. If mail host administrators generally picked a 10-20 second work load for a message to be sent, that would mean 10-20 seconds between each message which would be a huge detrement to spamming.

- a distribution list could be the way spammers get around this protocol:

  spammer joins ASRG list, starts collecting names

  since ASRG mail server is sending messages to us, it includes its
  public key and a signed piece of info in every message.

  spammer gathers 1 or more of these signed pieces of info, and send a
  message to the recipients of the list, using the ASRG mail server's
  public key and signed piece of info. Since all of us have (of
  course) included ASRG in our white list, the spammers messages get
  through with no challenge/computation effort.

  Have I missed something ?

Well, that is a good idea however I think this "problem" would be solved with a good implementation. If the mail host generated a random message and required the client to sign it, there would be no way for a client to know what information it would be required to sign and no way for other clients to use them. Second of all, the signed piece of information isn't distributed. Once identity is verified the information is discarded so the only way for a spammer to gather signed information would be to be a mail host. Aside from the fact that gathering signed information has no benefit.