RE: [Asrg] Requirements for gathering statistics

2003-03-24 11:45:02
 The reasons that I do not release my numbers is that, if I tell all of you
how good or how bad my numbers are, I may become a target by a spammer that
either a) Wants to take me on as a personal conquest, or b) Accepts my
percentage of spam that I let through as "acceptable".

 I can tell you that most of my trouble comes from my corporate domain name
and ISP domain name are only differentiated by .com and .net. Most AOL size
spammers don't realize that they are spamming the wrong domain and that
their customer base is not here at .com. As a consequence, we have had to
install ISP size gateways on a corporate size mail system.

 I am VERY familiar with the spam problem. I am not sure what statistics
gathering is going to accomplish, other than justify the continued use of
spam as a marketing tool. Will it help us obtain our goal? I don't think so
because it contains no differentiating research and no control sets.

 Now, I may be willing to send you example spams for some repository to be
used in a research setting but I am sure that you get enough of your own ;-)

Warmest Regards,
Damon