[Asrg] Requirements for gathering statistics

2003-03-27 12:53:12
  I've received a significant amount of private mail about this topic.
Most express concerns about bias due to "who decides what is spam, and
how do they do that."

  I am in the process of writing a draft document which proposes
reasons for gathering data, goals, which measurements to make about
spam, how to make them, and how the data analysis is done.  When I'm
done (within a week, I hope), I will post it here for further
comments.

  The document will include an introduction to data collection
methodology, and examples which will hopefully make it clear that:

  a) we CAN gather meaningful statistics about spam
  b) analysis of that data will help us understand the current scope
     of the problem.

  Alan DeKok.