Re: [Asrg] Requirements for gathering statistics

2003-03-24 12:58:53
"Sauer, Damon" <Damon(_dot_)Sauer(_at_)bellsouth(_dot_)com> wrote:
 The reasons that I do not release my numbers is that, if I tell all of you
how good or how bad my numbers are, I may become a target by a spammer that
either a) Wants to take me on as a personal conquest, or b) Accepts my
percentage of spam that I let through as "acceptable".

  I wasn't proposing to make the names public.  A trusted source can
reasonably be expected to gather the statistics and analyse them,
without compromising privacy.

 I am VERY familiar with the spam problem. I am not sure what statistics
gathering is going to accomplish, other than justify the continued use of
spam as a marketing tool.

  <sigh> That's why the statistics I was asking for were at the MTA
end, and were focussed on the scope of the current problem, and the
cost and effectiveness of their current solutions.

  There was NOTHING in what I wrote which could be construed as to
measure the effectiveness of spam as a marketing tool.

Will it help us obtain our goal? I don't think so because it
contains no differentiating research and no control sets.

  My goal in collecting statistics would be to get a quantitative
indication of WHERE in the network spam is a problem, and HOW MUCH of
a problem it currently is.  Without those statistics, we will have NO
BASIS for measuring the effectiveness of any solution.  Therefore, we
will also have no basis for comparing the solutions, or for knowing
when we've "solved" the problem.

  As for "control sets", they're irrelevant to the question of "how
bad is the problem".  We wouldn't ask 10 ISP's for their input on
spam, and then not ask another 10 as a "control set".  That
methodology is nonsensical.

  Alan DeKok.