Re: [Asrg] a "baby steps" proposal.

2003-03-25 08:19:05
At 1:42 PM +0000 3/25/03, Mark Delany wrote:
eRBL is a variant on this that I've discussed in other forums. The
idea is to reverse the question to be "is this a known bad address".

As the owner of the domain, you get to know about bad addresses
because you get the bounces. In effect, hostauth becomes a cache of
recent bounces to bogus addresses, for some value of recent.

There are an infinitely number of bad addresses and a finite number of good ones. Given that you only know about the bad ones *after* the spammer has used them, and given that they can generate a unique one in every N messages, I don't see this is a big win.

I bounced over 40,000 different addresses last year. I have less than 40 good addresses. Extreme yes, but managing good addresses is a lot easier.

And of course, it only works if the spammers send to bad addresses that bounce. But if people implement eRBL, then the spammers have an easy way to avoid sending to bad addresses.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.