Re: [Asrg] Certs required to send mail

2003-03-25 10:52:59
Jon,
Tuesday, March 25, 2003, 9:32:23 AM, you wrote:
JK> A. Because (many users at) Hotmail and AOL don't accept mail without it.
JK> (in my fantasy)

let's assume that getting them to adopt the mechanism would, in fact,
make the mechanism useful.

have you ever tried to sell anything to either of those two
organizations?  they are predictably unresponsive.  (that's not a
criticism of them, merely an observed fact.)

and pure logic or predictions of the future are not persuasive
arguments.  they need to see very, very high likelihood -- read:
certainty -- that they will directly and immediately benefit from the
change.

JK> I don't understand why there's this almost "religious" objection to
JK> proposals
JK> based on signing

it is not religious.  it is the result of 10 years of direct experience
trying to get large-scale cert-based systems deployed... unsuccessfully.

JK>  - I guess that that shows how little I understand this
JK> "culture" .

it's true that some standards groups tend to ignore experience.  the
ietf commits that sin -- to use a religious reference -- sometimes, but
we try not to.

d/

You must "follow the money" in any proposed solution.

JK> --

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>