Re: [Asrg] Certs required to send mail

2003-03-25 13:34:08
But ISPs do terminate accounts for sending unsolicited emails in any kind
of large number. There is a reason why all spammers have switched to China.

ISPs that don't terminate spammers make it worth for themselve and can not
get peering from other isps (i.e. remember AGIS?). And if they are buying
transit, then it becomes responsibility of their upstream to enforce AUP.

You can not hope to stop spammer who just signed up today at large isp,
but large spammers rely on pemanent connections and try their best to hide
who they are and where they are sending emails from, these should be our
primary targets for anti-spam propsals (would be nice to have good
statistics on how much email really comes from those 150 large spammers,
but I suspect getting reliable statistics on this is impossible).

No, Dave's response was on target.  If ISPs would enforce strict T&C,
there would be no spam.  User names and passwords are required to send
spam, and ISPs could terminate accounts for spamming.  Expecting ISPs
to revoke certs for spam when they now refuse to termiante accounts
for spam makes no sense.