Re: [Asrg] Certs required to send mail

2003-03-25 18:20:00
But ISPs do terminate accounts for sending unsolicited emails in any kind
of large number. There is a reason why all spammers have switched to
China.

Some do terminate accounts, but I know first hand that some participate
either via pink contracts or selling their lists.  I had an account once
that even my wife didn't know about.  I never gave out it's address either,
yet I got spam.  And an account like abc1200948388dhf(_at_)isp(_dot_)com is not
a very
guessable account.

On another occasion I had an ISP that intevened when I sent a nasty gram to
the offending spammer.  My ISP, as it turned out was hosting the sammer
inside their netblock.

But then I also had a large ISP that was very good.  The moral hear is that
many ISPs are good net-citezens, and others are deceptive trash.

You can not hope to stop spammer who just signed up today at large isp,
but large spammers rely on pemanent connections and try their best to hide
who they are and where they are sending emails from, these should be our
primary targets for anti-spam propsals (would be nice to have good
statistics on how much email really comes from those 150 large spammers,
but I suspect getting reliable statistics on this is impossible).

Why couldn't a large ISP stop, or perhaps seriously hinder spam?  If they
implemented a system where every account could only send 25-100 messages it
would seriously discourage spammers.  I suspect the more reputable ISPs do
this, but many don't.  There in is where the problems lye.  It is up to the
receive, not the sender to verify mail.

At home, I just block the China spammers outright, using IPFilter I simply
block out the whole IP range and it massively reduces spam.  But at work I
need to be more selective.  Business people do not understand the smut virus
infected mail came from the same place as a field rep.

Any solution needs to be individualized down to the sender and the receiver.
So certs may have a place.