Re: [Asrg] Proposal for Opt-Out

2003-03-27 18:53:40
I'd like to back up a second here on opt-out.

I don't believe this group should recommend a global opt-out solution. I believe that opt-out is 100% the wrong way to manage bulk mailings. It is fundamentally flawed, and it will make the current spam situation far worse than it currently is.

First of all.  Look at the world as it is.  Who sends you bulk email?

1. People whom you told to send you email.
2. People to whom you gave your email address to (e.g. product registrations, online purchases) but didn't specifically tell them they could send you email.
3. Affiliates of #1 or #2.
4. People who bought your address from #1 or #2.
5. People who bought the assets of #1 or #2.
6. People who snarfed your address off the web or from another location which did not carry any implied consent for bulk email.
7. People who bought from #6.

This is how I think most people feel about each of those. I'm sure there's a range, and it's not like I've gone out and done a survey. But I think it's roughly like this. Please don't get picky if your personal moral slider moves it in one direction or the other.

1. Fine if I can opt-out
2. Iffy, depending on content, but okay if I can opt-out
3. More iffy, but okay if I can a) stop the spread and b) opt-out
4. Probably crossing the line (no way to stop the spread)
5. Wrong, but the courts say it's okay, hopefully can opt-out
6. Wrong
7. Wrong

Now, let's consider an opt-out list.  Who will it impact?

1. No
2. No
3. Possibly, but probably not
4. Yes
5. Possibly
6. No (they'll ignore it)
7. No (they'll ignore it)

So. An opt-out list will stop people who bought your list from someone you gave your email address to. You don't *want* it to stop the people you explicitly gave permission to. It might stop people who bought the assets of a defunct company. It probably won't stop affiliates of a company (e.g. multiple catalog companies owned by a single entity) because they probably had fine print saying that you gave permission to all of them (that's certainly what they do now).

It will have zero impact on existing spammers.

That's the good news.  Here's the bad news.

A global opt-out list is a tacit statement that it's okay to spam random email addresses. After all, if you didn't want email, you would have put your name on the list, right? This is exactly the *wrong* way to go. We do not want "100 million email address CDs" to become legitimate sales tools just because they were cleaned by the opt-out list. You do *not* want every company in the country broadcasting email address to every address they can find.

"But," you say, "If you don't want that, just put your name on the opt-out list."

I assert that if we tacitly support opt-out, we will create a mail situation so bad that you won't be able to function unless you opt-out. *Everyone* will want to opt out. And what is the point of an opt-out system in which every person in the world is required to opt out? Furthermore, as has been mentioned numerous times. It's not just a question of email addresses, it's a question of domains and bounces as well.

Opt-out can work for phone numbers because there are a finite number of phone numbers. There are *not* a finite number of email addresses. It should not be mandatory that every time you reserve a domain you have to go and opt-out all possible email addresses in that domain. That makes no sense whatsoever.

To sum it up.

1. Opt-out doesn't affect the majority of the people we are trying to stop.
2. Opt-out will make things worse.
3. There is no point in an opt-out system that everyone has to join.

Even if you don't believe #2, #1 and #3 still stand. As do my points concerning domains and infinite email addresses.

I strongly believe that this group should make absolutely no recommendations for a global opt-out system. I further believe that it should recommend that opt-out is, with regards to email, fundamentally flawed.

I believe that we could make positive recommendations for opt-in, but I want to keep that discussion separate from this one. The point here is simple. We should not recommend *any* opt-out system.

As an aside; other differences between email and phones. Email addresses change more frequently, causing aging problems. Many people manage more email addresses (sometimes *lots* more) than they do phone numbers, making managing opt outs (especially if they age-out) far more difficult. Email addresses reach inside companies, where phone numbers often don't. Phone opt-outs can be verified against an address to avoid do-gooders opt-ing out lots of people. Email addresses cannot be verified except via confirmation email--and that rules out wildcard, bouncing address and domain opt-out possibilities. (I don't personally have a problem with someone writing a program that opts out everyone in the world--but I don't believe the marketing companies will accept an opt-out system that doesn't have verification or other barriers against excessive ease of use.)
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.