Re: [Asrg] Proposal for Opt-Out

2003-03-28 14:58:42
Consent Expression Component: This involves recipients expressing a
policy
that gives consent or non-consent for certain types of communications"

So it seems we will have to make these "recomendations".

Absolutely.  I'm saying that we should recommend against opt-out as
means of consent.  There are other, much simpler, ways to define
consent.

I'm not sure that "simpler" is the right word. Some of the possible
applications of consent expression that have been mentioned in the group
include opt-out, configuration of up-stream filters and (I'd add) opt-in.

It's a key problem - I believe an explicit consent expression mechanism
would be a significant *enabling* technology.