Re: [Asrg] Proposal for Opt-Out

2003-03-28 09:53:09
At 8:32 PM -0800 3/27/03, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

 At 6:11 PM -0800 3/27/03, william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:
 >Opt-out will not be effective all by itself.

 Of the proposals we have seen so far, which would change the dynamics
 of opt-out as I've described them?
The proposals offered so far are incomplete, that is why we all can not
decide on any one... But I'll tell general solution:

That's a very long wishlist. You've postulated a world where the only people who send you non-opt-in email are either people who bought your address from people who forced you to agree to let them sell it, or people who can't seem to distinguish between the different types of email they want to send you. You then see opt-out as the way to stop that.

I don't see that that changes anything. Legitimize opt-out and all companies will buy and sell email addresses. After all, you can always opt-out.

And the technical issues (aging, timeout, validation, opting out invalid email addresses...). Those still remain as well.

Frankly, opt-out scares the hell out of me.

But do go ahead and spell out the best possible system. If we understand the problem technically then that gives us the ability to shoot down bad proposals even before we get to the social argument. Let's just try and keep those unintended consequences in mind.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.