Re: [Asrg] Proposal for Opt-Out

2003-03-29 21:33:27

1. Commercial emailers agree to general classification of email based on
subject of what is being advertised (i.e. for example adult, internet
services, other service, electronic goods, sports goods, etc)

5. When commercial mailer wants to send somebody an email, they check dns
for that domain and obtain id of the agency. They have to contact the
agency and got authorization to use its services (probably pay them too)
and agency needs to verify whatever it can about the commecial mailer.
Once verified commercial mailer is granted authorized access to agencie's
database and can verify email addresses.

  You're effectively saying that an advertiser is going to blast out
to the adresses on a "Millions CD", and there'll be an on-the-fly
listwashing conducted.  If the sender doesn't already have confirmation
from individual users that they want the mailing, it *IS* spam.
Not on-the-fly - reread the proposal, it says that they need to clear
their database prior to mailing if possible (up to one month prior is
allowed). And this is intended as global opt-out, after the the fact they
you gave some advertiser your email address.

7. When commecial mail operator is sending email, they HAVE TO
include special header in the email

  And the "special header in the email" will be in the DATA: block, and
can only be parsed if you accept the entire email.  Oh, did I mention
that broadband ISPs in Canada now surcharge extra if you exceed your
monthly bandwidth quota ?  Accepting the email, even if it is discarded
immediately, counts on your quota.  In other words, it can cost actual
money.
The system is intended to be used by MTAs not by MUAs (though this is
still an option), so email would be discarded if the encrypted hash is not
available and either never reaches MUA or is placed is possible-spam folder.

As for header being part of DATA block and that being difficulty for some
MTAs, we'll talk about this point again in 15-20 days when I'm ready to
submitone particular draft I'm working on.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc.