Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg digest, Vol 1 #133 - 14 msgs

2003-03-28 12:40:19
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 08:30:42AM -0800, James Lick wrote:
I'm probably not going to be able to convince you, but...

:-))

causes the spammers to increase their volume.  But ultimately that volume
goes up whether we try blocking it or not.  Are you suggesting we just
give up?

No. What I'd like to have is a situation like with a desease (e.g. influenza).
You can use some medicine to ease headache and another to ease cough,
i.e. cure the symptoms.
Or you can fight the virus causing all the problems at the root.

only highlight the fact that spammers cannot be considered ethical.
Whatever we can do to push them to expose this should be encouraged.

Do you think there is one person on the Internet that uses email for
longer than 3 month that is not aware of this? But
- others do it and they don't go to jail, so why shouldn't I do it
  I suffer from them so they can also suffer a bit because of me.
- ethics are fine, but if your company is bankrupt, because you are
  ethical and the unethical guy next door earns millions of dollars,
  how would you decide? How will 90% of the world population decide?
  And remember, it's sad, but spam really works :(
So just pushing someone in the unethical corner won't help :-((

And: if a spammer is forced to use your email address to send out the crap
because using totally faked ones is impossible, because we wanted him to
expose that he is unethical, you'll wish he wasn't pushed that hard.

I can sue him then, you'll want to argue, right?
We're located in Germany. Our domain was abused. About 5 million bounces.
A few hundred complaints that our abuse Team had to deal with.
The spam was injected via dialup accounts in Mexico, Brasil and Argentina.
The contact address is
    Power Publishing, P.O. Box 7138, North Port, FL 34287
What do you think the chances of any successful legal action are like?
IANAL, but I'd say zero.
There is no evidence that the above company is the originator of the
spam. They could argue some competitor did it to mischief them. Case
closed.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299