Re: [Asrg] Multiple overlapping solutions

2003-03-28 15:07:44
At 8:37 PM +0100 3/28/03, Markus Stumpf wrote:
The more different solutions you will need to work together "to make it
work" the lower are the chances any of these will be adopted, because
the migration pathes will be too complicated or even not working at all.

You're assuming that everybody has to install N solutions.

It appears that the direction we are heading is: Everybody may install one instance of N different solution types.

As to whether this will be adopted over replacing the system with something entirely new, I think the market has already spoken. Content filtering. DNSBLs. Custom blocking. Spam Traps.

The market already *is* installing lots of migration patches. Because incremental changes, no matter how horrible from an architectural standpoint, are easier and safer (from a sysadmin standpoint) than wholesale change. This is especially true when there are competing solutions.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.