RE: [Asrg] Authentication again

2003-03-29 20:54:43
Phill,

        You hit an interesting point, for me, in this post - though not
intentionally
I think.  In the example you cite the issue is not the provider of service at
all it is the choice of the recipient MTA manager.  And 'spam' origination from
the providers you listed in the post is not the problem either, it seems in
fact to be the 'use of illegitimate/forged addressing' so that the majority of
'spam' originating from who knows where is passed by 90% of filters because
most managers do not block the free mail services.

        Blocking at the 822 level is indeed troublesome as information is so
easily
forged.  Policy edge MTAs, I think need a common method to 'qualify' and yes
authenticate sending entities to compare to this managers choice of methods.
 Until then I think most would agree that deepest "Recieved by" headers are a
best bet, at least better than "From:" headers or last hop "Recieved by" which
are the most easily forged.

-e

On Saturday, March 29, 2003 8:51 AM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip