[Asrg] Authentication again

2003-03-29 06:50:58

You know.  It's responses like this that really make me understand
why most of the ISPs I talk to hate the anti-spam organizations more
than the spammers.

prompted by one of the other threads on the list I took a look at Vernon's
pages to find the following:

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/
"Mail from domains on a list of free providers is rejected at rhyolite.com,
because of spam claiming to be from them. Rejecting mail supposedly from
free mail providers is an extremely effective tactic for avoiding spam or
unsolicited bulk mail. "

Hmm, so authentication is absolutely no use eh? Just blacklist the whole
domain. now lets look at some of the domains in this list.

yahoo.com, hotmail.com  - Of COURSE everyone from these
                domains is a spammer
freeserve.co.uk         - The largest ISP in the UK, you
                pay by the minute through the local phone toll.

Apparently these domains are effective against '90%' of spam. So if you
could identify the genuine email sent from these sources and the sources
implement rate limiting on egress (most do already) you could block 90% of
spam with NO false positives.

Of course false positives probably aren't a problem if you only really care
about getting email from longstanding netizens with their own email domain.

I find it somewhat interesting that the people complaining loudest about
solutions that might involve cost are also the people who are quickest to
cut off free internet access. Just what is going on here?

                Phill